Software Development Manager
Section 1: Position Summary
As the Software Development Manager, you will lead, direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operations of a team of software developers and work closely with quality engineers, product owners and business. You will manage all of the operational aspects of the software development teams to ensure business and product\project objectives are met. You provide administrative, technical, and people leadership for multiple, diverse, and sometimes geographically distributed teams. You are responsible for providing feedback to the team and individuals on their performance. You will coach and guide teams to enable future success.
As a member of the software development team, responsible for the coaching, mentoring, managing and overseeing one or more Agile Scrum teams.
Section 2: Job Functions, Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Mentoring development team members to ensure delivered solutions adhere to the software architecture strategy, coding standards, and established organizational policies and procedures.
- Participating in software architectural discussions, influencing decisions, and collaborating with peers to maintain consistency across the organization.
- Identifying people and process improvement strategies for the Scrum team(s).
- Communicate organizational updates to ensure teams adhere to the established policies and procedures.
- As required, performing lead software developer duties within a Scrum team.
- Manages moderate-sized software development teams, usually within an assigned business line.
- Ensures projects are completed on time and according to our quality standards.
- Facilitates communication upward around architecture, design and implementation objectives.
- Manages personnel activities of staff (i.e. hires, trains, goal settings, appraises, rewards, motivates, disciplines, recommends termination as necessary).
- Proven experience in leading software development teams or projects.
- Excellent knowledge of software development design and experience with agile development methodologies.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, decision making and communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and REST based services.
- Good understanding of Incident Management, Configuration Management, Operational efficiency and Customer Management preferred.
- Good experience with open source.
- Responsible for supervision of software engineers, software developments teams and process
- Coach and mentor software developer, develop staff skills, provide continuous feedback and responsible for annual reviews
- Lead and manage direct reports and set clear goals and objectives
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by Ascensus to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to Ascensus or our clients.
- Our I-Client service philosophy and our Core Values of People Matter, Quality First and Integrity Always® should be visible in your actions on a day to day basis showing your support of our organizational culture.
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned
- Conducting one on ones, performance reviews, and career development plans with associates.
- Ability to manage personnel activities of staff (e.g., hires, mentors, trains, appraises, rewards, motivates, and disciplines, and recommends termination as necessary)
Section 3: Experience, Skills, Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience managing software developers or software teams
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a software developer at some point in career
- Solid understanding of software engineering fundamentals (high level understanding of OO concepts, design patterns, service based architecture, API‘s etc.)
- Experience and good understanding of designing scalable, distributed systems for running small to medium scale web based applications and services
- Experience with loosely-coupled, modern system architectures and the ability to improve the architecture of an assigned product or program line
- Possesses a level of breadth and depth of software development experience that allows for influence and competence in technical discussions with internal and external stakeholders
- Solid understanding of roles adjacent to the software development manager (product management, project management, QE management, operations etc.). Ability to adapt to these roles as defined at Ascensus.
- Experience making good decisions around technical, infrastructure debt and working with legacy code
- Ability to engage and motivate staff
The most successful candidate will have the following:
- At least 5 years’ experience managing software development
- At least 2 years’ experience with Agile processes (Scrum, XP, Lean, etc.)
- Exceptional leadership, management and people skills
- Experience managing geographically dispersed teams
- Passion for Continuous integration and deployment pipeline and automation
- Operates with a ‘DevOps’ mentality (tight cooperation between development and operations engineering)
- Demonstrated experience leading a cross-functional team fostering innovation, creativity, and teamwork
- Passion for quality and continuous improvement of processes and software Ability to work collaboratively with other Software Development Managers to ensure that technical and schedule dependencies within the teams are fully met in a timely
- Experience managing a team of 5+ developers
- Strong overall sense of ownership
- Ability to grow the careers of software developers ranging from entry level to senior (8 or more years)
- Ability to build team unity and to inspire team members to the importance of a mission
- Ability to make high quality hires in a tight employment market
- Ability to remove obstacles for team members
- Ability to have difficult discussions with employees/peers/managers as necessary
- Ability to consistently apply Ascensus core values in workplace interactions
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Collaborative, idea-sharing environment
- Professional development
- In-house training
- Tuition reimbursement
- Generous reward programs
- Paid time off (additional purchase plan)
- Medical, dental & vision benefits
- Health savings account (employer contribution up to $1,100)
- 401(k) & 529 match programs
- Volunteer/charitable-giving programs
- Business casual dress