Senior QA Engineer
The Senior Data Warehouse QA Engineer is responsible for performing quality assurance duties throughout the data warehouse project life cycle. This position requires a self-motivated individual with a combination of at least 5-7 years QA and/or Oracle development (SQL and PL/SQL) experience.
Primary responsibilities include working with business owners and developers to create, execute and update test plans and test cases for necessary projects and application releases. In the execution of the QA tests, this person will be responsible for documenting bugs and showing developers exactly how to reproduce them as well as assessing the overall quality for the particular project. Also this senior member of the team will provide suggestions on how to improve and tune inefficient code. Excellent communications skills, the in-depth ability to solve technical problems as well as the ability to mentor a team of QA engineers in a fast-paced environment are required skills for this position.
1. Oversee, develop and execute test cases based on business requirements for projects that utilize several high-end development features of Oracle 10g such as Materialized views, Partitioning, Parallelism, etc. In addition to his/her own QA projects, the Senior QA Engineer will be responsible for reviewing and approving all test cases submitted by other members of the Data Warehouse QA team.
2. After compiling packages, procedures and functions in a personalized self-created schema, the senior QA engineer will be responsible for debugging and reporting defects in our Jira bug tracking tool and escalate issues as needed. This will require the person to add procedural code for debugging purposes in most cases, in order to report on which step in the process the code is currently in as well as how much data has been manipulated, etc.
3. Carefully and methodologically perform validation after releases are deployed to ensure proper release of code. This task will require the Senior QA Engineer to ensure the proper code has been released to the production schemas by performing a "diff" of what is in production versus what was supposed to be pushed. It will also require validation of data, if a data migration was involved in the release.
4. Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the data warehouse applications as well as an understanding of database administration and design principles. This knowledge will be necessary in order to troubleshoot issues in the code that have to do with SQL performance. Because of the large volume of data in our Data Warehouse, SQL tuning is a necessary skill for the Senior QA Engineer to acquire and apply while testing code.
5. Maintain an in-depth understanding of our coding standards and enforce the guidelines throughout the testing phase. Our coding standards should be incorporated in every piece of code that is tested. If a developer misses any coding standard or uses one incorrectly, it is the responsibility of the Senior QA Engineer to report this defect and ensure our standards are adhered to by everyone on the team, since the QA Engineer is the final reviewer before code gets pushed to production.
6. Communicate effectively to the team throughout the QA lifecycle. The Senior QA Engineer will be responsible for providing time estimates for each project for QA testing. If at any point in the testing of code the timeline needs to change, we will look to the senior member of the team to escalate this as an issue and come up with an appropriate action plan, particularly when deadlines will be impacted.
7. Participate in Design and Requirements reviews for proposed new features and updates. It is necessary for the Senior QA Engineer to be involved in design walkthroughs in order to gain his/her understanding of the project, since they may have a differing perspective from the developer. In order to ensure we receive a 360 degree view of the project requirements, it is necessary for both the developer and QA engineer to participate in all of the initial requirements reviews.
- Collaborative, idea-sharing environment
- Professional development
- In-house training
- Tuition reimbursement
- Generous reward programs
- Paid time off (additional purchase plan)
- Medical, dental & vision benefits
- Health savings account (employer contribution up to $1,100)
- 401(k) & 529 match programs
- Volunteer/charitable-giving programs
- Business casual dress